Re: Corporate Constipation

Subject: Re: Corporate Constipation
From: Steve Arrants <SArrants -at- DATAFUSION -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:40:05 -0700

I think it is some kind of bloat/overload factor that's going on here.
Right now, San Francisco is a hot, hot market. A contract at CNET:The
Computer Network was ending, so I sent out my resume. Sixteen calls in
two days. One wanted to hire me over the phone, no interview. The
positions I interviewed for were interesting, my references were great.
Very few of the companies had it together enough to keep me informed,
call me with an update, or give me an update when I called them. I got
the usual excuses--"The person heading the group is out sick." "We're in
crunch mode right now, and can't interview for two weeks" (That explains
the phone interview you wanted me to do at 11:30 pm...) "We want to hire
you, but we need a VP's signoff on the position."
The company I work at now (DATAFUSION, Inc.) made the time to interview
me, made sure everyone in the interview loop was available (none of the
"the people you are supposed to interview with can't make the meeting"),
and most importantly, were quite open and honest about when I'd hear
from them and other factors.

Friends who work in HR say that runarounds are typical. Someone opens a
Job req. later than needed, and no one has the time to interview or make
decisions. There are a *lot* of positions open in San Francisco. Just
seems no one is serious about filling them.

And don't get me started on companies that hire you and don't even have
a desk or equipment for you until a week or two after you start!!

Stephen Arrants, Jr.
DATAFUSION, Inc.
139 Townsend Street Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94107-1922