Re: Describing menu navigation

Subject: Re: Describing menu navigation
From: Steve Arrants <SArrants -at- DATAFUSION -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 08:57:42 -0700

[Steve Arrants] I think you need to take the audience's
experience level into account. A new or naive user may not know what
you're talking about, so it might be best to say something like, "From
the Tools menu, choose Autotext and then select Attention Line..."
I don't like the use of arrows or similar when describing menus,
but its a standard at some companies.

> Is this the best way to show this? What have other people done?
[Steve Arrants] My rule of thumb is to first get your user
profile (who they are, what they're used to in terms of software and
documentation, etc.) and then write to that user.