Re: text conventions

Subject: Re: text conventions
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:00:19 -0400

Helen,

Yes, I believe the statement is correct. Centimeters is not a preferred
unit of measure.

The number of significant digits depends on the context. You wouldn't
use an 11.000 mm wrench, but a part in a precision piece of equipment
might be described as 11.000 (+/- .002) mm long.

I think in most cases, three or four significant digits is adequate. A
college physics or chemistry book can probably give you a good
explanation of how many digits to use.

--
Tom Johnson
Technical Writer

business mailto:johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal mailto:tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com
My opinions are still my own.