Re: Corporate Constipation

Subject: Re: Corporate Constipation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 15:40:43 -0400

Penn Brumm <penn -at- HEALTHEON -dot- COM> wrote:

>In my experience, big/small seems irrelevant.
>It's the company culture, ethics, and values that make the >difference. Those factors come from the people involved.

I think it's a matter of probability.

In the last two years, I've worked for 8 or 9 different clients,
possibly more. Not all my experiences with large companies have been
ghastly, but, when I've had to work on-site, the small companies have
generally been pleasanter places to work.

Individuals do, of course, affect the corporate culture. However, in a
larger company, it's harder for individuals to make a difference. When
they do, it's usually because a department is semi-autonomous.

And, of course, small companies have one large advantage: they rarely
have a human resources department that wants to play cheer-leader. I
remember one HR department that tried to organize a competition for
office clean-up, complete with teams, captains, and whistles. Some
eyeballs rollled so far I expected to hear them drop on the floor :-)
--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(604) 421-7189 or 687-2133

"I'm a man of music and many words as well,
I've heard the deep sound of discontent,
The merry sigh of Hell;
We'll go to where the worlds all meet,
You can sing your song and stamp your feet,
You might even find a few hours' sleep
At the Celtic Hotel."
--Brian MacNeil