Re: George Hayhoe's Observation

Subject: Re: George Hayhoe's Observation
From: Mary McWilliams Johnson <mary -at- SUPERCONNECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 00:04:00 -0500

Tim, I thoroughly agree that modern, super-smart HTML editors can lure folks
into using gimmicky coding that has nothing to do with designing a Web page
to deliver the site contents in the most user-friendly manner possible.

I certainly don't intend to use stylesheets or DHTML until such time as 99%
of all Web surfers have browsers that support them consistently.

I do think some day (a long way off) we will take advantage of stylesheets
to apply font characteristics and object placement instructions to our Web
pages. This could mean a big saving in time and effort in updating a Web
site. We will code once and then apply a new stylesheet when we want the
site to have a new "look."

One thing an editor like Dreamweaver can help with right now is analyzing
our code to determine how various versions of various browsers will
interpret it. Since it's almost impossible to keep every version on my
computer, it's nice to have a tool that alerts me to coding that isn't
universally acceptable.

Cordially, Mary