Re: Figures/graphics in user manuals

Subject: Re: Figures/graphics in user manuals
From: Walter Hanig <walter -dot- hanig -at- NETMANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:29:55 -0700

At 09:38 AM 4/14/98 PDT, Campana, Ellen, , SAM-GATQ wrote:
>I am looking for guidance in the use of figures and graphics in user
>manuals.
>
>I would appreciate any information on resources dealing with this topic,
>as well as your personal experiences and opinions. The manual is for a
>decision support system application, and the users are expected to have a
>working knowledge of Windows 95.

Assuming that cost and time to produce the manuals and future cost and time to maintain them are not issues, I prefer lots of graphics. imo, the most important factor leading to users' success with software is confidence. When they do what you tell them and see the results on screen that your manual says will occur, they begin to think, "Hey, this isn't so hard."

just my opinion, of course.

walter

Walter Hanig

NetManage, Inc.
12651 High Bluff Drive
San Diego, CA 92130, USA

Phone: 619-793-3173 FAX: 619-755-3998
e-mail: walter -dot- hanig -at- netmanage -dot- com wdhanig -at- rice -dot- edu
Blood Type: O+