Figures/graphics in user manuals

Subject: Figures/graphics in user manuals
From: "Campana, Ellen, , SAM-GATQ" <CAMPANAE -at- COMM -dot- HQ -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 09:38:00 PDT

I am looking for guidance in the use of figures and graphics in user
manuals. Specifically, we have a user who wants a screen shot, a picture
of the appropriate button, and a picture of the menu for every topic or
step (Also, a screen shot for every step of the wizards). I was
wondering how much is too much, or is there no such thing, and it is
entirely dependent on what the user wants.

I would appreciate any information on resources dealing with this topic,
as well as your personal experiences and opinions. The manual is for a
decision support system application, and the users are expected to have a
working knowledge of Windows 95.

Thanks -
Ellen

Ellen C. Campana
Technical Writer
Single Agency Manager (SAM)-GATQ
1600 Air Force Pentagon
Washington, DC 20330-1600
703.588.0321
ellen -dot- campana -at- comm -dot- hq -dot- af -dot- mil