Re: Elegance

Subject: Re: Elegance
From: "Burns, Nancy" <nburns -at- BREAULT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:12:01 -0700

Here's the URL for the Computerworld article, "Elegance" by Gary H. Anthes
that Tim Altom referred to:
http://www.computerworld.com/news/jump_index.html?//www2.computerworld.com/h
ome/features.nsf/All/980420id

I read the article on Elegance before reading all the responses to Tim
Altom's original post. I thought the article was well written and thought
provoking. It reopened the discussion of what the essence of computer
programming is about, and this essence certainly applies to our work as
technical communicators.

So, I don't think the article is merely a rehash of old principles that we
all already know about. I've been in a technical writer for almost 10 years,
and still welcome refreshing reminders of and new insights into the highest
principles we can strive for in our work, whether we're programmers,
communicators, or dishwashers. And I find it quite refreshing to talk about
principles and aesthetics for a change rather than just tools and grammar
(which have their place on this list but don't stimulate much thought).

Nancy Burns
nburns -at- breault -dot- com