Re: I solicit your HELP (etc.)

Subject: Re: I solicit your HELP (etc.)
From: "Hillary M. Russak" <hrussak -at- SLAC -dot- STANFORD -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:38:50 -0700

From _Elements of Technical Writing_, Blake and Bly:

_Etc._ is fine when used in a sentence in which the reader can predict its
meaning: "Let's discuss even numbers, like 2, 4, 6, etc." Often though, it
is a lazy way out of a thought (e.g., "Go to the laboratory and get me a
bunsen burner, flask, etc.").

I agree.
-hil

At 02:27 PM 4/14/98 -0500, Mitman, Rikki wrote:
>Speaking for my own persnickety self, I'd be glad to see the trend for
>acronyms and abbreviations reversed. What's wrong with spelling things out?
>
>(Oh, please no lectures on common usage. I'm just opining here.)
>
>Rikki Mitman, Tech Writer
>ECG Technology Communications

Hillary M. Russak
Technical Writer
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(650) 926-3193
Pager (650)849-9483
hrussak -at- slac -dot- stanford -dot- edu