Re: placement and annotation of screen captures in step-by-step i nstr uctions for software manuals

Subject: Re: placement and annotation of screen captures in step-by-step i nstr uctions for software manuals
From: Dawn-Marie Oliver <Dawn-Marie -at- XPENSE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:51:34 -0700

One method I have used that I have not seen anyone mention
is the two-column layout (using tables), instructions in the left
column, screen captures in the right. It was effective in that it
allowed in-depth reading, as well as scanning the right column
(for example, verifying a series of confirmation screens). The
screen captures were captured with extremely light gray shading,
and then scaled down.

Just my 2 francs worth of ideas.

Dawn-Marie Oliver
dawn-marie -at- xpense -dot- com

My opinions are most definitely my own; my employer has its
own, and we keep them separate.