Re: Do Technical Writers Deserve Their Own Office? (fwd)

Subject: Re: Do Technical Writers Deserve Their Own Office? (fwd)
From: "Robert E. Garland" <robert -at- JTAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:45:18 -0400

Hope Cascio wrote:

> I agree with John. Until recently, the writers here were spread out in
> little clusters to be physically near the developers of the product group
> they wrote for. I got more "unofficial" information, the developers were
> more likely to just drop by my cube to ask questions, bring me information,
> or get clarification, and I spent a lot more of my energy concentrating on
> the product than the writing department's internal issues. Now all of the
> writers are sitting in one room, and I feel we're isolated from our product
> groups. We all communicate with one another a lot more frequently and
> informally, but I've lost touch with my developers.

In former employ, I was part of a Publication Department of 20 writers
and editors. The company got on the "Team Building" bandwagon one year
-- it was the buzz phrase of the year. The company tried to build teams
of writers even as we explained that our teams were essentially a writer
and a group of software developers. "Team
Building" failed because the HR types who were driving it did not
understand the environment or their audience.

--
Robert Garland Amateur Radio Station NX3S
Hilltown Township Bucks County Grid FN20ii