Re(2): Child care as a travel expense

Subject: Re(2): Child care as a travel expense
From: Dana Franklin <Dana_Franklin -at- MAROON -dot- CUDENVER -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 15:56:58 -0600

My husband is a technical writer for Lucent Technologies (BIG company),
and he asked his manager about this situation. She said the employee
should come to the manager before the trip, let the manager know that
he/she has no trusted family/friends to take care of the child(ren), and
ask if the company will pay for the childcare accrued beyond the normal
8-9 hours per day. My husband's manager admitted this certainly is neither
a "Yes, of course we'll pay" answer nor a "No, you've got to be kidding"
answer, but that it was up to the employee and manager to discuss the
situation and come to a mutually amenable answer.

Before I quit my job to stay at home with our daughter, I worked as a
technical writer for a SMALL company (12 people). This issue came up once
with another employee, and the company's response was "too bad, find
someone to take care of your kid."

Dana Stientjes Franklin