Re: secretary's day

Subject: Re: secretary's day
From: Keith Arnett <keith_arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:02:58 -0500

I'd suggest you that first of all, you set aside your feelings of
insult, and put yourself in the position of someone who appreciates
the work of another, but finds that a well-intentioned token of
appreciation has offended the recipient. Then, take the card to the
person who sent it, and with wide eyed innocence, ask, "I'm a little
confused...I really don't understand why I got this card!"

When the giver states his/her reasons, you will have an opportunity to
"open a dialogue" and inform/educate the giver as to your feelings.

Bear in mind that the card does represent some level of thoughtfulness
and gratitude on the part of the giver, even if it is inappropriate.
Be sure to thank the giver verbally for thinking of you, and strive
for a positive outcome.

Regards,

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer
Sterling Software, Inc./Operations Management Division
Reston VA USA

Subject: secretary's day
Author: <maalton -at- UNITY -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU> at INTERNET
Date: 4/22/98 10:34 AM

Hello all fellow tech writers.

I have a workplace dilemma. Today is secretary's day. Not something i
would usually care about because I dont have a secretary. But this year
I care about it because when I got to work there was a card on my desk
thanking me for my good work as a SECRETARY! (i've been with this
company for 4 months)

While its nice to be appreciated, its not nice to be considered a
secretary when you have a BA from a prestigious university and are
working on your MS in tech comm. AND do not perform secretarial duties.
I should also mention that I don't get a secretary's salary...nor do I
have a secretarial title.

Frankly I am highly insulted. I feel like issuing a statement explaining
that while I appreciate the card and being appreciated, I am not a secretary.
WHat do you guys think? Should I just forget it or voice my opinion?