Entry-Level

Subject: Entry-Level
From: Locke David <dlocke -at- BINDVIEW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:24:44 -0500

Janet Valade said that entry-level candidates would not be able to find
freelance work. In my experience, the converse is true. It took me two
years to find an entry-level job. And, that job was as a contractor.
They paid me more than I expected, and respected me as the expert.

Entry-level can get hired, because the people doing the hiring do not
have TWs on staff, and are not TWs themselves. They don't have a clue
about what qualities they need in a TW. Their first need is to fill the
job. Their second need is to do so cheaply.

On a contract I left last year, my replacement was an ESL person who
couldn't write simple sentences, and couldn't understand the application
being documented. But, this person did work for $15 per hour. And, once
this person got some experience, this person will get hired over a more
competent entry-level candidate. Yeah! Justice.

David W. Locke