Re: secretary's day

Subject: Re: secretary's day
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:47:46 -0500

> You would not have
> been mistaken for a secretary if you had been a male.

Not as likely, but there are still those who think all tech writers,
male or female, are basically secretaries.

Actually, despite my remark about Boss's Day in a previous post, I *was*
once mistaken for the boss when I was a secretary. I worked in food
service, and I was standing outside the office one day talking to my
lab-coat-clad boss. Because my "professional" attire was more obvious
than hers (and because this was food service and not a laboratory)
someone assumed I was the boss. I think that's another interesting
topic, but it probably belongs on the techwr-l chat page.

> An aside--I don't want to imply that being "just" a secretary should be
> worthy of contempt or discrimination. I could not handle the tremendous
> amount of organizing and scheduling and facilitating that the secretaries in
> my office handle every day.

Nor do I. I have been a secretary, and I know it's not harder work or
easier work, just different work. But because it is GENERALLY and
UNDESERVEDLY lower-paid and less-respected work, I agree that we
occasionally need to remind others that it is not what we do.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm