Re: boot problem

Subject: Re: boot problem
From: Lisa Comeau <lmcomeau -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:13:11 PDT

Patricia wrote:

I am writing a help topic about the boot process of our operating
system.
Looking at examples from other manuals and dictionaries (on-line and on
books) I encountered the following variations:

to boot FROM a hard disk
to boot OFF a hard disk

a boot process ON a PC
a boot process OF a PC

What is right or most common?

There are so many possibilities, you could get confused just thinking
about it, but in my experience, the proper terminology is
"to boot FROM a hard DRIVE"
and
"the boot process OF a PC"
(but when referring to the boot process in most technical manuals I have
read, it is assumed that the wirter means a PC's boot process, and so it
is just referred to as "the boot process").

L.M. Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Canadian Standards Association
178 Rexdale Blvd., Etobicoke, ON