Re: New slant: professionalism

Subject: Re: New slant: professionalism
From: William E Newkirk <wenewkir -at- MBNOTES -dot- CCA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:58:12 -0400

Jane Bergen wrote:
> How many people have you run into who, when you tell them you're
>a technical writer, laugh about "those computer manuals that no one can
>understand"? Those are the legacy of early tech writers who wrote mil
>specs...
Computer manuals were written by the people who made the computer systems
for people who were going to use them.

For the home computing markets, especially in the 70's and 80's,
many times the manuals were written by the programmer or designer.
People involved with computers were wanting to be involved and had to
develop a background in hardware and software because they were the
first ones to have these things around.

It's a defensive behaviour to say that "No one can understand <something>."
instead of saying "I don't understand <something>." Many people never want
to admit they don't know anything about something.