Re[2]: Re[2]: Reduce page count WAS Re: secretary's day

Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: Reduce page count WAS Re: secretary's day
From: Steve Struck <stephens -at- ALR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:05:05 -0800

John Gilger wrote:

I believe that the correct term is "slave," as in "wage slave," rather
than "permie."

Contractors take their benefits in cash. Slaves take theirs as "golden
handcuffs."

Keep smilin'

John

<snip>

I am smilin', John. Each time I pick up may paycheck, I smile. Each time I check
the total on my 401-K, I smile. Each time I have to use my health insurance
(paid by the company), I smile. Each time I ... and so on (can't use "etc."). I
expect that you smile when you pick up your paycheck, knowing it's probably
larger than mine. No doubt you also smile when your contract runs out and you're
freeeeeeeee again. I guess my point (and you thought I'd never get there) is the
fact that in this business there are choices, just like any other business. The
term "Slave" implies there are no choices. That's simply not true.

If contracting is the end all and be all, why doesn't everyone do it? Being a
permanent employee isn't the answer for everyone either. So why the "real men
take their benefits in cash" attitude? If it's envy, get a permanent job. If
it's pity, understand that permanent employees have the same choices that you
have. If it's scorn, what's your problem?

If I totally misunderstood your message, John, I apologize in advance.

Steve