Re: HELP-EXTRA!

Subject: Re: HELP-EXTRA!
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:23:28 -0500

so the users guides contain lots of screen scrapes.

We've talked a few times about how every industry has its own vocabulary,
which can cause trouble in communication. This is a perfect example.

I had to read this twice to understand what he was saying, because there is
another common (in the corporate computing arena) meaning for "screen
scrape." A corporation often keeps an old text-based application in
service, but provides a new GUI-based front end for it. This interface does
nothing more than read the stream of characters coming from the application
and pick out the values to be presented to the user, then reformats the
user's replies into the format of the text screen the application is
expecting. This technique is called "screen scraping."

There's your trivia for the day.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224