Re: some fonts take too long to print

Subject: Re: some fonts take too long to print
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:44:22 -0500

I notice short documents in some fonts
create a huge spool file (win 95) and
take much longer to print. Why?

Which fonts? Some fonts are designed, well, inelegantly (to use a word
which is currently bandied about on the list).

A letter shape, in TrueType or Postscript, is defined by a set of points
and the equation to connect them. The more points in the letter shape,
typically the longer it will take to print. Several of the smaller font
foundries issued "knock-offs" of popular designs which took a long time to
print, because of this.

Don't know if that's your reason, but it's one reason.

Another possibility is that the ones which build a bigger file and take
longer are using fonts which are not resident in the printer. If the font
isn't in the printer, then the font will have to be downloaded to the
printer before printing can begin. Apple ships a free utility which can
tell you what fonts are resident in a particular printer, but I don't know
how to do it from a Windows machine.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224