cross-referencing details between 2 documents

Subject: cross-referencing details between 2 documents
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:33:18 -0400

Using Word 97, I am radically revising/re-organizing a service level
agreement (though the document type isn't really important for what I'm
asking) with hundreds of specs. Call original 1, my revision 2.

Client may want to make sure that 2 hasn't left anything out that is in 1.
So I'd like to have the client able to look at doc 1 and at every point see
a cross-ref to doc 2.

I can put both docs in a single Word doc to ease cross-referencing.

I'm trying to figure out a minimally painful method.

1. I could number paragraphs in 2, but then the printed version of 2 will
look clumsy, in part because I'll lose all the other formatting I want
(headers, bullets, etc.)

2. I could just cross-reference by page number (and perhaps section
title), but my audience will go crazy, I would think, having to scan
referenced pages.

Any ideas on how to do what I'm seeking while (a) keeping the revision
looking spiffy and (b) minimizing the tedium of so much cross-referencing?

Thanks.

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union
Web site: http://www.nwu.org/nwu/
E-mail: nwu -at- nwu -dot- org