Summary & Thanks: Notes vs Footnotes

Subject: Summary & Thanks: Notes vs Footnotes
From: Lucille Lattanzi <lucille -dot- lattanzi -at- PERI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 11:19:54 -0400

My sincere thanks to all of you who responded to my request for opinions
on the usefulness of notes vs. footnotes.

NOTES: Everyone responding found notes useful when information needed to
be showcased for a variety of reasons - special procedures, cautions,
warnings, tool tips, etc.
FOOTNOTES: Of the group responding, only one writer found footnotes
useful for "nice/interesting-to-know" information.
Everyone else thought they really were too academic in nature for
manuals. Some felt that readers would ignore them when reading quickly
for immediately useful information.

This is by no means a comprehensive survey, but it did help to define
the concepts involved.
Thanks, again!
TGIF

Lucille Lattanzi