PDF to Word?? = No

Subject: PDF to Word?? = No
From: LPraderio <LPraderio -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 10:54:07 EDT

David,
It is possible to scan documents into PDF, but to convert to an editable Word
file---No. What happens is you scan the document into PDF format (using your
scanner and an Adobe driver for the scanner), which gives you an image-only
PDF document, not a text file. You can correct the image-only file, but cannot
really edit it. For example, if you have three words in the middle of a
sentence and want to remove two then you have a gap in the image. I have found
in working with Acrobat that the Capture Pages feature (the "editing
function") really doesn't work as you might expect because it is an image you
are dealing with-not an editable file.

Laura Praderio
Tech Writer/Editor
Denver, Colorado

David Orr writes:
One of my clients heard indirectly that it's possible to scan document into
PDF format then later convert it to an editable Word file. This sounds
dubious to me. True? Not true? How does it work if true?