Re: Help needed on Term

Subject: Re: Help needed on Term
From: "Joseph McRoy (Roy) Anderson" <royanderson -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 10:54:13 -0400


Yes, "user exit" is a legitimate programming term in widespread use for
over thirty years. It functions as you described it, as predefined "hooks"
upon which a client firm's programmers can "attach" custom programming code
to further expand client-oriented functionality.

The IBM term "user macro exit" was served the same function within large-scale
mainframe circles. Don't know if it is still in use, but should you encounter
the term, replace it with "user exit".

Ellen Gorlow wrote:
> In the documentation I'm editing (translated from a German original) the
> following is called a "user exit": A place in a program where you can
> attach your own piece of programming.
> Can anyone confirm if "user exit" is the correct term to use.
> Ellen Gorlow
> Technical Writer
> Viasoft
> egorlow -at- viasoft -dot- com

Previous by Author: QUESTION: one manual for two different editions of the same produ ct?
Next by Author: Re: Proposal Responsibilities
Previous by Thread: Ambia Compose: To buy or not ....
Next by Thread: Help needed on Term

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads