Documentation Group Writers

Subject: Documentation Group Writers
From: Debra Mazo <DMazo -at- CREO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 08:34:57 -0700

If you work as part of a Doc Group, I'd love to hear how you organize
your project assignments, etc. The company I work for has various
product core teams which all include a tech writer. Each writer in our
group is assigned to a number of product teams, not just one. This means
that we are always facing challenging schedules and trying to prioritize
our work. We've trying to realign teams so that writers are more focused
on one product, but with scheduling commitments find the prospect of
reassignment almost impossible.

If you have any thoughts on these Doc Group issues, please share:

* how are writers assigned projects (as needed or dedicated to a
product)
* how do you prioritize your work
* do you meet as a group on a regular basis to discuss style
issues, etc.
* does the group create standards for the company that are
followed or are standards followed on a product-by-product basis