Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 13:09:56 -0700

Chris (cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com) wrote:

> David Klein asks:
>
> Is "and so on" generally considered acceptable??
>
> Not to me. While "i.e." and "e.g." seem to be falling from general usage
> these days, "etc." is still widely used, and I plan to stick with it!

We don't allow any Latin abbreviations in our documentation,
including etc.. Even if we didn't have the general rule because
many people are unfamiliar with their meanings (as other people
have mentioned in this thread), we probably would disallow etc.
because of the punctuation problem in the first sentence of my
response! We recommend that writers use "and the like" or "and
so on," depending on the context.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html