Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 15:25:20 -0400

Funny - I have always of myself as standing shoulder to shoulder with
the user, facing the engineer. As a TW, my most important task is to
help the user use the product. That means I must look at the product
from the user's perspective, not the engineer's.

In a well run company, the TW is a valued member of the Product
Management team whose opinion is sought out about things like user
interface, etc. After all, if the product ain't easy to use, it ain't
going to be easy to document, and if it ain't easy to document, it ain't
going to be easy to use. (ETC) - <g>

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Sr. Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.