Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology

Subject: Re: Tech Writers who don't like technology
From: Deborah Ray <debray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:53:33 -0600

At 08:51 AM 5/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>What surprises me most about the non-technical tech writers I've met is that
>they don't seem interested in the scientific world, they don't want to be
>bothered learning new technology aside from their own communication tools,
>and they're even ignorant of the scientific method.

Look at it from the other side... perhaps some of us keep up with
communication tools as a means of "keeping up in the industry or
for sheer pleasure," much the same way that you suggest we should
be reading Scientific American or technical journals to do the same.
For example, computer technology itself is something I keep up with to
broaden my horizons, whereas medical writing and related topics
are my true love. It just so happens that I make my living writing
about computer topics--something I can only do because I've "bothered"
to learn about it. I can't say that reading Scientific American
(which we do here in the Ray household) gives me the professional
cutting edge you're implying.

Oh, I am familiar with the scientific method...but so what if
I weren't?

Deborah