Lots new on the TECHWR-L site

Subject: Lots new on the TECHWR-L site
From: Deborah Ray <debray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:52:50 -0600

Hi all,

Here's what's new on the TECHWR-L site:

GOOD NEWS!
A big congratulations to Christie Christopherson,
in TW at Utah State University, Christie just landed a big
TW job with IBM! (I'm fishing for more details on this....)

Also, it's time for a new student of the month, so send along
nominations for any outstanding TW student you know. I'm looking
for graduating TW students (undergrad or grad) who have

* demonstrated excellence in technical writing (or a TW specialty)
* contributed to the field through special projects, publications,
and/or professional society participation
* completed interesting and/or significant projects
and/or
* have demonstrated leadership and/or mentorship capabilities

Thanks in advance for submitting nominations for the student-of-
the-month. (BTW, you can nominate yourself....) The TECHWR-L
Education page will feature one student per month and make
available information about previous students on
the site. If you haven't yet visited the student-of-the-month page,
do so at http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/education.htm.

WHAT'S NEW
I've redesigned and updated the Topics page. Thanks to
* Judy Fraser for providing her Client Questionnaire summary.
* Jody Lorig for providing an estimating worksheet.
* Debbie Stewart for initiating a TW skills list.

In particular, I invite you to visit the TW skills list
(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/topics.htm, under
Resumes, Interviews, and Skills) and submit your suggestions.
This list will help newbies as well as seasoned TECHWR-Lers.

Also, I've added a Publications category to the Resources
page (http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/resources.htm). Here,
I welcome you to submit your articles, white papers, or
other publications that you'd like to make available to the
TW community. Thanks to Sarah O'Keefe for submitting two white
papers: one on hiring options and one on converting user
manuals to online help.

Finally, thanks to Andrew Plato for submitting a new Internet
resource--The Network of Independent Technical Communicators--
to the Resources page.

That's all for this week. As always, feel free to email with
comments or suggestions (debray -at- raycomm -dot- com).

Deborah

* Deborah S. Ray, debray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* co-author _Mastering HTML 4.0_, _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick
Reference_, _The AltaVista Search Revolution_, and others.
* RayComm, Inc., currently accepting contract inquiries.