Re: FW: Tech Writers who don't like technology

Subject: Re: FW: Tech Writers who don't like technology
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:08:40 -0400

At 08:57 AM 5/12/98 -0400, Tracey Moore wrote:

>I find it strange to find such venomous comments about tech writers on a
>tech writer list server. And Rene's is hardly the exception. Each day I
>read several, if not dozens of posts that slam tech writers. I often
>wonder if these people are tech writers themselves. What gives?

(shrug) I think that there are probably a lot of people who believe
that they would get more respect as writers if "professional standards"
were raised... usually, if standards were raised in the areas that they
consider their biggest strengths, conveniently enough. :-)

I didn't find Rene's observations offensive in the least, but I understand
how and why others might.

Whenever and wherever technical writers gather (not just on TECHWR-L), you
can be sure to hear a fair amount of blather on the subject of professionalism
and plenty of unsolicited advice on What One Must Do, Read, or Think In Order
To Be A Real Technical Writer. I don't think we as a group have anything
resembling a monopoly on this kind of self-important navel-gazing, by the
way.

My personal opinion is that if you're capable of delivering the goods and
confident in your abilities, no special pleading for respect or professional
status is necessary. If you're working for an employer or client who just
doesn't get it even after you've made your best effort to explain the value
of what you do, save yourself some real heartache and get your resume out
on the street. Plenty of good gigs around.

Your mileage may vary.
Barry Campbell * barry -at- webveranda -dot- com * 40.77 N, 73.97 W
--
[O]ne of the strongest motives that leads men to art
and science is escape from everyday life with its