Re: Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Interview Questions
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:09:09 -0700

Christa -

> I had a Director of Engineering once who always asked "what's your most
> favorite thing to do?" and "what's your least favorite thing to do?"
> Answers could be either work or non-work related.
>
> He vetoed a TW candidate once because she said her most favorite thing
> to do was "go dancing." His theory was that she would probably be out
> dancing all night every night and would come dragging in the next
> morning.

Your Director of Engineering was making the same kinds of assumptions
that provided an environment of prejudice against women in the
workplace, especially the technical workplace, for years. Assuming
that, because she liked dancing, she'd obviously spend too much time
partying is like assuming that, because a woman has a uterus, she's
going to take too much time off to have babies, or that she'll leave the
company to stay home with the children. It's a small step from that
assumption to racist assumptions too. The fact that ONE woman partied
hard is not an indication that ALL women who like dancing will come into
work late.

I certainly hope that troglodyte has been replaced.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems