#$ -at- % secretary stuff and the Grammar Guru

Subject: #$ -at- % secretary stuff and the Grammar Guru
From: K R Wolfe <keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:14:43 -0500

Besides the secretary stuff, which I find myself forced to doing when
others don't do the job right....

I find that as a writer, everyone expects me to be the grammar guru. I'm
happy to help with simple questions. Likewise, I often have to edit some
large stuff that gets out to the world, but doesn't fall under the domain
of tech pubs. But!!! I don't have time to edit every little 2 page memo
that comes through my colleagues' doors. Cripes! These people are
supposed to have degrees, right?

How do you deal with these people? Where is the dividing line between
wanting to help and wanting to buy a gun?

I'm reminded of the words of a past professor...

"You'll be expected to know everything... So know EVERYTHING."

kw