Re: Re; Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Re; Interview Questions
From: Sheila Marshall <sheila -at- STK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 14:20:28 -0500

I've been thinking about this whole issue since I posted my response and,
being a TW, have a few additional comments.

First, I agree that the original story was about being denied employment
because of an assinine assumption (or stereotype, if you will) - I just
don't think the assumption was due to the applicant's sex.

Second, I've seen discrimination at work and been caught in it. It is a
nasty and frustrating experience. In fact, I was appalled by the story of
the TW who got flowers on secretary's day and immediately fired off a
response. I don't appreciate it and I don't tolerate sexism at work.

Elena, your work experience, while impressive, has little to do with the
gist of my message -- which was to caution against crying wolf lest the cry
be ignored during a true crisis.Step on down to the issue, off the podium...

It's true that some men resent really strong, successful women just as it's
true that some women feel constantly threatened by men in the work place.
Absolutely too bad for both types (stereo?)! They don't know the talent
they're missing. I just don't think that bringing this whole
woe-because-I-am-a-woman-in-the-work place issue into topics that aren't
specifically about women as the downtrodden sex isn't the way to make your
point. In fact, it obscures your point and causes people like me to gasp
for breath and I'm pretty sure numerous men to mutter about women and
kitchens. Let's not get them muttering. Muttering allows people to
continuously uphold a position they may not even agree with anymore.
Muttering is why lynch mobs are formed. And then women are lynched for an
issue that's really about assinine interviewers. And men are lynched for
complaining about women always going on and on about women's rights. And
the hits just keep on rolling...

I'm a woman. And a TW. Sometimes that's a bad thing, sometimes it's a good
thing, and sometimes my femaleness is not the issue. At work, I tend to
like it when I'm just the TW.

Sorry, stepping down off the soapbox now. Eric, sorry if this is now
considered off-topic.

BTW, I get this digest, so any flame-mail should be copied to my e-mail.

my big $1 contribution

Sheila