Re: #$ -at- % secretary stuff and the Grammar Guru

Subject: Re: #$ -at- % secretary stuff and the Grammar Guru
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:51:11 -0700

Keith writes:

> I find that as a writer, everyone expects me to be the grammar guru. I'm
> happy to help with simple questions. Likewise, I often have to edit some
> large stuff that gets out to the world, but doesn't fall under the domain
> of tech pubs. But!!! I don't have time to edit every little 2 page memo
> that comes through my colleagues' doors. Cripes! These people are
> supposed to have degrees, right?
>
> How do you deal with these people? Where is the dividing line between
> wanting to help and wanting to buy a gun?

Well, I'm an editor and not a writer so that might make a difference.
We actually encourage people outside the tech documentation area to
bring things to us to edit in the hopes that when they have something
that *is* going to the outside world, they'll remember us. Also, it
gives us an opportunity to evangelize the internal style guide--the
existence of which, despite our best efforts, is unknown to many people
at the company outside our tech documentation area.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html