Re: Technical Writer Education

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Education
From: Woolfbob <Woolfbob -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 06:45:56 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/98 13:05:08 CDT, George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM writes:

<<
At the bare minimum, all tech writers should have knowledge of Microsoft
Word, and many do.

Question: why MSWord? Why not Word Perfect? Seems like more governmental
(particularly military) use Word Perfect. Is one considered to be better than
the other? The only advantage I see to MSWord is that it usually comes free,
in one form or another, with all of the Microsoft operating systems. Frankly
I use both but I have to admit to liking Word Perfect (6.1 right now) much
better and find it both easier and more intuitive to use.

So what's the consensus out there? If MSOffice/Word wasn't a "freebie"
bundled with all of the new Windows programs, would we see it being used so
much? I wonder? Kind of doubt it really. Just another credit to Mr. Bill
"Bad Haircut" Gate's marketing strategy.

Bob Woolf