API style guides?

Subject: API style guides?
From: Lani Hardage <lhardage -at- RMTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:39:41 -0700

Hi, Techwhrlrs, I've searched the archives but not found anything about
styles for documenting APIs. I have one from a programmer (C++) that
doesn't seem to follow any conventions I've found in looking at APIs
such as HTMLHelp, Java classes, and MAPI32 for Visual Basic. Can you
point me to some standard format(s) you've found, or is there no real
standard? The above examples were not all alike.

For starters, it looks like you have a list of functions, with name,
description, parameters, values, returns, and then perhaps related
functions/methods and a code sample. Is some of this dependent on
programming language?

Please don't tell me not to do it because I'm not a programmer --I
really don't have a choice, and besides I want to learn.

TIA,
Lani Hardage
Risk Management Technologies
Berkeley, CA