Re: API style guides?

Subject: Re: API style guides?
From: Walter Hanig <walter -dot- hanig -at- NETMANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:49:12 -0700

At 01:39 PM 5/21/98 -0700, Lani Hardage wrote:

>For starters, it looks like you have a list of functions, with name,
>description, parameters, values, returns, and then perhaps related
>functions/methods and a code sample. Is some of this dependent on
>programming language?

I can't help with recommendations for a format, but I suggest you ask your developers what they think would be most useful for users.

One wisdom-nugget I picked up at the just concluded STC conference: programmers using your doc'n use the examples first and more than anything else in the API descriptions.

Walter

Walter Hanig

NetManage, Inc.
12651 High Bluff Drive
San Diego, CA 92130, USA

Phone: 619-793-3173 FAX: 619-755-3998
e-mail: walter -dot- hanig -at- netmanage -dot- com wdhanig -at- rice -dot- edu
Blood Type: O+