Re: Proofreading Everything Under the Sun-- A TWs responsibility?-- P

Subject: Re: Proofreading Everything Under the Sun-- A TWs responsibility?-- P
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:12:58 -0500

Shannon White wrote:

> You either live with it and do the best
> that you can because you truly believe that your job makes a
> difference, or you get out. You can take the attitude not to do
> something because it is "not my responsibility," or you can say "if I
> don't take accountability for doing this job right, no one will." In
> the long run, I believe the 2nd attitude will pay off.

Unless, of course, you can't get your OTHER job done -- the one they
hired you for -- because you're busy proofreading. Gina specifically
mentioned the bottleneck caused because there are only two writers, the
jobs that aren't getting done because they're busy proofreading, and the
fact that they are not counted as a resource on these projects. An
"attitude adjustment" won't solve those problems. I would keep track of
how many hours are spent proofreading, find out how much a good
proofreader costs (which I assume is less than a good TW), and make a
case for hiring a proofreader.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm