Re: Proposals

Subject: Re: Proposals
From: Mark Dando <danmcc -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 17:14:47 +1100

John:

I didn't say or imply that "if 10 companies respond, then you have a 10%
chance", but was talking about average success rates.

A major client of mine operates in the network systems integration market
in Australia. Typically, purchasing in this market by major private and
public sector corporations involves a multi-stage tender process whereby a
shortlist of suppliers are invited to respond to the formal tender.

In identifiable markets segments it is possible (and in fact it is done) to
calculate the average number in a shortlist. If three, for example, the
average strike rate for suppliers would be 33%. Suppliers who significantly
exceed that rate are generally happy with their performance, and suppliers
who don't achieve that rate over a period usually withdraw from the market.

Mark Dando
Dando McCredie Pty Ltd
danmcc -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au
Leura NSW