Addendum Alert

Subject: Addendum Alert
From: Debbie Figus <debbief -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 15:19:09 +0300

Hello,

I?m looking for a solution for a specific aspect of including an addendum
in a manual, and maybe you all can help me. I?ve spent some time in the
archives, and I see the general attitude toward addendums. The sense I got
was that if you need to add information, then update the whole manual,
thereby having no need for an addendum at all.

Well, I simply don?t have time to update each and every manual whenever an
engineer wants to add a page or two of new information. (This company has
an extensive product line, with over 100 manuals.) If you?re willing to
bear with me, and accept that the addendum is the best solution for now,
then my question is a bit more specific:

Even if the addendum pages are bound in with the rest of the manual, let?s
say at the end, how do you alert your users that those pages are there,
since the cover of the manual looks the same as it ever did? This engineer
says to put a sticker on the front of the manual, like a ?warning.? I don?t
like stickers, so I suggested a stamp, in red ink, with the words ?Custom
Product Addendum Included in This Manual? or something like this.

I?m interested in any feedback on the best way to alert users that the
pages are there, and wording for whatever type of ?alert? I end up using.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie Figus
Excalibur Systems
Jerusalem, Israel

debbief -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il