Re: Employment Agencies - Technical Communication Specific

Subject: Re: Employment Agencies - Technical Communication Specific
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:32:15 -0400

>Let me know when you get your revised resume up.
>I'm curious to see what you end up with, given the
>volume of comments you're apparently getting!

Well, it's up now (at http://home.att.net/~layna), with some
suggested changes implemented. I guess a resume is
always a work in progress!

[>>]

"To begin my career as a Technical Writer in the Seattle area."

Layna...why do you want to thrust into someone's face "I am a rookie and
have never done this before."?

Besides, as a prospective reader of your resume, I don't care what YOU
want. I want to know what are you going to do for me, and giving a job to a
rookie isn't going to do much for me right now.

When you compose your resume, put yourself in the reader's shoes. I only
want to hire someone who will add strength to my organization right now.
Everything you put down, either phrase it so it is a benefit to me right
now, or don't put it down, no matter how proud you may be of it.

As an example, what's the difference between the following two sentences.

1) Worked as part of a team on an extensive manual for groundwater modeling
software.
2) As part of a team that created a multi-volume manual for groundwater
modeling software, I was responsible for --making sure that the six
participating departments received and acknowledged all review drafts,
coordinated their input and corrections, and that a representative from
each department attended all review sessions--.

Obviously, you would fill in the material between the hyphens. I made it up
for the purpose of example. However, the point is, WHAT did you do, how did
it show a skill, and how can you use that skill to strengthen my
organization?

EVERYTHING you put down should draw a mental picture in the reader's mind
"OOOHHHH....I can use that skill, I NEED her in my organization."

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.