Re: FWD: Patent writing

Subject: Re: FWD: Patent writing
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 09:10:05 +0000

To the anonymous writer who wrote:

>I've looked for, but haven't found much, information about patent
>writing. Are any writers on this list doing this? What is the career
>path, and what areas are "hot"? What are the preferred
>qualifications?

I have known a couple of people who went from engineering and writing
backgrounds into researching work in writing patents. These
individuals went to work for legal firms that performed patent
filings. At the time this happened, (early '90s) this was a rather
new idea for the legal firms and there wasn't a large market then.
These firms looked for people who could understand the hardware that
was being talked about.

Unfortunately, I have lost contact with the individuals I knew that
made the move to the legal firms, so I can't really tell you if there
is still a market for patent writers. However, I would recommend
contacting several legal firms in your area to see if there is a need
or an interest for them to bring in a techwriter to help them.

Judging from what most lawyers get paid to do the research and
writing, I would imagine that they would still rather pay a
professional writer than another lawyer to do the research and
writing.

HTH

Jody Lorig
JLorig -at- Kavouras -dot- com