Re: Pros and Cons of including writer's name

Subject: Re: Pros and Cons of including writer's name
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:39:32 -0500

> We also included a Special Thanks section that was put together by the
> writers to recognize anyone they felt deserved it, including admin
> people who did lots of photocopying for them, and tech support people
> who took extra time to give insight into the questions customers ask. It
> was the one way we could say that we thought these people were
> important, and recognize them publicly in a company that was very
> developer-centric.

None of our books say "written by so-and-so," but we have an
acknowledgements section where anybody and everybody involved in the
publication is thanked. It's important for us because we work with many
SMEs who get paid very little for their contributions, so this provides
some recognition for them. It's also been important to contractors who
want to use the work in their portfolio... it's the only place their
name appears, and some have expressed concern that no one will believe
they worked on the publication unless their names are in it somewhere!
(I don't know if that fear is based on experience or just speculation.)

Tracy

Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm