Re: The Lessons of ValuJet 592

Subject: Re: The Lessons of ValuJet 592
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 12:00:33 -0500

> >I endorse Wendy's recommendation. This is a fascinating piece about
> >complex systems and the limits of safety procedures.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but it sounds to me as if
> somebody is off the hook since the warnings and procedures are documented.

It sounds that way to me too, but that might only be because we're not
lawyers. :-) What defines "documented?" Yes, the procedures were in
writing, but I can see a lawyer trying to convince a jury that they
weren't written to the right reading level, or didn't appear in enough
places, yada yada yada.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm