Re: HTML & ROBOHELP WITH FRAMEMAKER

Subject: Re: HTML & ROBOHELP WITH FRAMEMAKER
From: Kandis Weiner <kandisw -at- POSITRON -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 13:19:53 -0400

Hi Sudhin!

I have been doing some research in this area over the past few weeks and
this is what I have found.

FrameMaker does allow you to Save As HTML. You must do a bit of setup to
have this work effectively - like creating HTML conversion macros and
mapping FrameMaker paragraph formats or Elements (in SGML) to HTML tags.
But once you set it up, its done. No need to run the setup repeatedly. It
might take a few tries to get a useful conversion, but if you are using a
HTML HAT (help authoring tool) anyway, you don't really need to make the
conversion to HTML pretty (unless you have other needs for the HTML doc...)

In Frame + SGML, you may be able to use Element attributes (like Online,
Printed, Both) to filter what exactly is transferred to the HTML document,
so you can actually filter what information is saved in the HTML document
(like only those Elements with the "Online" Attribute). This is purely
theoretical at this point 'cause I haven't quite tried this yet and I don't
know if this is possible in regular old Frame.

Once the Frame doc is Saved As HTML, you can import into *RoboHTML* and do
what you gotta to make it online - links, pop-ups, the fun stuff...

RoboHTML is an editor in its own right; it does not require Word. I found
the demo pretty easy to use and what I have heard from others is that it is
actually easier to use than plain old RoboHelp.

HTH!
Kandis Weiner
Technical Communicator - Product Integration
Positron Public Safety Systems Inc.
Montreal, Quebec Canada
mailto:kandisw -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca
http:\\www.positron911.com
Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, but my brain is for rent.