interview questions revisited

Subject: interview questions revisited
From: Cathy Carr <ccarr -at- OVID -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:34:19 -0600

One good question I've asked and answered has been "Is this a good place to
work?" or "Would you advise a friend to work here?" It tends to engender
fairly useful responses, from "This is a great place or I wouldn't work
here," to "This is a good place to work if. . ." "If you enjoy structure"
(i.e. being micromanaged :-)) or "if you like working independently" (i.e.
no one's being paid to manage you :-)). I always ask the interviewer to
describe the office environment. This is another question that, as far as
I can tell, is usually answered fairly honestly--anyway, you can usually
read enough between the lines to get an inkling of what the office is like.

Cathy