Re: Cost/benefit analysis [for CBT]

Subject: Re: Cost/benefit analysis [for CBT]
From: "Burns, Nancy" <nburns -at- BREAULT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:19:37 -0700

I haven't done a cost/benefit analysis, but can tell you what JoAnn Hackos
says about it in her book, "Managing Your Documentation Projects":

"In a cost/benefit analysis you compare the cost of creating better quality
with the benefits likely to accrue as a result...You can use several
indicators of benefit including payback period, the ratio of cost to
benefits or a calculation of return on investment to make sound decisions
about the quality of publications."

Hackos includes a sample for estimating metrics for various information
types in her book. For computer-based training, the metric is 60 hours per
finished hour of training, which probably relates to a high level of
quantity.

William Horton, in his book, "Designing and Writing Online Documentation,"
describes several forms of CBT, including computer tutorials, guided tours,
embedded training.

If you end up doing a CBT project, I recommend getting some good books on
the subject.

Nancy Burns
nburns -at- breault -dot- com