Re: Working Wages

Subject: Re: Working Wages
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:59:55 -0400

Gord Deyo <DeyoG -at- ITLS -dot- COM>

>Sure, why not give the campaign a name? How about the United Technical
>Writers (UTW) union? This is the kind of thing that can develop when
>people start grumbling about wages and working conditions.
>
>If you don't like your wages, move on. The underpaying employer will
>eventually catch on when no one is around. And if you feel that the
>wages are poor right across the board, take up plumbing, or something.

Laugh all you want, but writers' organizations can be useful sometimes.
The Writer's Union of Canada has arranged a fee for library use which
has put some welcome change to its members' pockets.

Similarly, the Science Fiction Writers of America has done random audits
of publishers, which probably has not only helped the chosen individuals
but encouraged publishers to keep better records for everyone.

And if "campaign" is too strong a word, it is still useful to be an
advocate.

Personally, I have no complaints about my wages at all. In fact, since I
became a tech-writer, I've made more money than ever before. But, just
because I'm doing well doesn't mean that I have no interest in the
conditions of others.
Just the opposite, in fact, and I'd be ashamed to think any other way.

But of course, writers are notoriously hard to organize; it's probably
easier to get cats to play on a soccer team.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"Unjust and spiteful criticism taught me more than a quiet acceptance
would have done, and for that, I thank those blundering judges who were
responsible for my education. The motivations behind their judgments
enlightened me and allowed me to enjoy a clear conscience. A sincere
mind turns everything to its advantage, and that which would discourage
mere vanity redoubles the fervor of real commitment."
-George Sand