Re: conventions

Subject: Re: conventions
From: Sharon Burton <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:13:47 -0700

I have observed when teaching people both beginning and intermediate Windows
that explaining the functional difference for all those things on the screen
makes the person think that they have to remember all those differences and
terms. This generally panics and overwhelms them and they leave with the
idea that this is too complex for them to ever understand. Then they are
afraid of the really simple technology sitting on their desk. They don't use
it because it seems really complicated.

While I have done no formal research, in every case when these things were
carefully explained to people, they carefully took notes because they
thought all this was important. And in every case, they kept trying to
identify what the thing was [Oh, this is a spin-box] rather than what they
should do with it [I need to type the number of pages to print]. They got
bogged down in the trivia and couldn't focus on the task at hand.

The point to all this that you can easily overwhelm people with the trivia
of the technology. Those who are more expert know what all that stuff is and
don't need to be told. Those who don't know can and do get overwhelmed and
confused and frightened. I never ever specify the differences between all
that stuff. I use procedures that tell them what to do [from the list,
select...]. It seems to work.

sharon

Sharon Burton
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS, the award-winning unofficial RoboHELP Newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
anthrobytes -at- anthrobytes -dot- com