Re: Misuse of 'quotes'

Subject: Re: Misuse of 'quotes'
From: Lani Hardage <lhardage -at- RMTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:44:19 -0700

Suggest he try reading the sentence out loud, saying "so-called" before
every work in quotation marks. Or use "named." Or "we call it this, but
you may call it something else."

The Chicago Manual of Style has these uses for quotation marks: for
definitions, for special philosophical or theological terms such as "the
divine," for emphasis, for irony, for slang, for technical terms, for
quotations, for titles, and for words as words (as I used them above).
He is probably using them for emphasis, but a little goes a long way.

HTH,
Lani Hardage
Documentation Manager
Risk Management Technologies
Berkeley, California

Simon Rumble wrote:

Our Marketing Director has obviously been reading the output of too many
signwriters. He seems to put quotes around "everything" in all his
sentences.

Does anyone have a diplomatic way of explaining to him why what he's
doing
is "wrong"? It's "really" annoying me :)